Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Breakfast and more, in and out of the classroom

For the next East Side Monthly column, I am planning to write about the pros and cons of PPSD's new breakfast in the classroom program, which is what it sounds like: free breakfast in the classroom at the start of the day for all PPSD elementary school students. ProJo coverage of the program's launch in January is here. If any readers have anything you'd like to say about the breakfast in the classroom initiative, positive or negative, on the record or off, please let me know. I am still sorting out my own thoughts about its various advantages and problems.

While mulling this over, I saw this piece on the choices that schools make about the food that they serve kids--and the choices that they prevent--by Valerie Strauss in her Washington Post Answer Sheet column. Definitely worth a read if you're interested in policies and practices around food and nutrition in schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment