Monday, February 7, 2011

Race to Nowhere Screening at Brown, March 6

Race to Nowhere, a documentary about the high-stress achievement culture that characterizes many schools in the United States, will be playing at Brown University on March 6. You can buy tickets online here. I haven't seen the film but have wanted to for some time. I'm grateful for the opportunity to see it in Providence.

My interest in seeing this film rests in my hope that it explores the distinction between deep, meaningful, life-improving, skill-building, habit-of-mind developing learning and surface, rote, standardized-test-satisfying learning that many worry is increasingly occupying students' and teachers' time and energy. I'll report back, and if anyone has seen Race to Nowhere already and wants to comment, please do.

No comments:

Post a Comment