Thursday, October 9, 2014

The blog is back.

Hi! The blog is back. Longtime readers are aware that I take this blog in and out of service, depending on what else is going on in my life. You shouldn't see this current reawakening of Providence Schools and Beyond as a sign that I have free time to burn. From that perspective, committing to writing regularly here is a bad idea. Life is as full and engaging as usual. Nevertheless, the blog is back to think through the impact that a new governor and mayor may have on our state and city's educational system and to write about a few other issues that have come up that are demanding to see the light of day.

So who am I? 

Personally...
I've lived in Providence for nearly 10 years; my family and I moved here from San Francisco at the end of 2004. I have three sons in the Providence Public Schools: a ninth grader at Classical High School, a sixth grader at Nathan Bishop Middle School, and a third grader at Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Elementary School. I try to get involved with the schools' Parent-Teacher Organizations and in other ways as much as reasonably possible.

Professionally...
I'm the director of publications and communications at Engaging Schools, an education nonprofit based in Cambridge, MA. Engaging Schools (which until recently was known as Educators for Social Responsibility) offers professional development, mostly to middle and high schools, in order to support schools and districts to be come safer, more engaging places for teaching and learning. We work nationwide (and sometimes beyond) and publish resources to support educators' work. I edit and publish those books, and also manage our external communications, writing our blog and newsletter, doing our social media, etc. 

In Providence-related professional work, I also write a monthly education column for East Side Monthly (recent stuff is here) and occasionally contribute on the topic of education to other local publications. 

So this blog is where I share what I think about as a result of the interplay between the personal and the professional. I make no promises to keep it up forever, or perhaps even for long. But for now, I'm back and though I don't mind talking (writing) to myself, I'm grateful for any comments, interaction, or contributions. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice to find your blog on Prov schools. I actually found it when I researched uniform policies at the various schools in our district. My daughter attends RF Kennedy and it seems like a disportionate attention is paid to getting children to abide to a uniform policy and it's frustrating. I see that you are on the east side and naturally focus on schools on that end, which is understandable- I wish our school was subject to attention and accountability too. One thing that seems to be missing in this system is a place for parents to truly communicate and collaborate on school issues. Nothing much happens at PTO meetings- it seems primarily for fundraising. I wonder if you have considered setting up a facebook group that included blog entries and invites others to share their thoughts and concerns? Thanks- and I appreciate your input.

    ReplyDelete