This post was written by Kira Greene and Kristen Murphy, two PPSD parents who are donating considerable time and expertise to work with the district to improve school registration. They know the system incredibly well and I am grateful that they've shared their expertise.
Please read their post, and here are the basics for follow up.
- Kindergarten and first grade enrollment starts this week (visit http://www.providenceschools.org/media/251160/registration%20calendar%202013.pdf to find out when you should enroll your child. The link also shares what documentation you need for registration.
- For the first time, PPSD is offering registration workshops for prospective families - info online at http://www.providenceschools.org/media/251157/enrollment%20seminars%202013.pdf. The workshops take place as follows:
- Monday, January 7, 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Carnevale Elementary, 50 Springfield Street
- Tuesday, January 8, 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Young-Woods Elementary, 674 Prairie Avenue
- Wednesday, January 9, 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Kennedy Elementary, 195 Nelson Street
- Thursday, January 10, 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Bailey Elementary, 65 Gordon Street
- Tuesday, January 22, 6 to 7:30 p.m. at King Elementary School, 35 Camp Street
- Wednesday, January 23, 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Messer Elementary, 1655 Westminster Street
- Saturday, January 26, 10 to 11:30 a.m. at West End Community Center, 109 Bucklin Street
- Take a few minutes to check out the PowerPoint presentation that the district put together for the registration workshops. It's here: http://www.providenceschools.org/media/251434/eng%20k%20reg%20seminar%20010713.pdf. The presentation includes a load of data about seats that are likely to be available at various schools, which schools filled up last year, the actual registration form, and strategies for making first, second, third, and fourth choices. I appreciate that the district has chosen to share this info widely. Very, very useful.
- Finally, again, visit Kidoinfo for additional advice and strategies about how navigate "reg," increase the likelihood that your child will be assigned the school of your choice, and minimize bureaucratic frustration. Go here: http://kidoinfo.com/ri/providence-public-schools-kindergarten-registration-for-2013-january-10-march-1-2013/#comments