Tuesday, January 24, 2012

$470,000 RIDE tech grant - looking for info

This short ProJo story about a technology grant open to all RI schools caught my eye - interesting. I haven't researched it, don't know what's funding it or into what policy context it fits. Here's the story in full:
The Rhode Island Department of Education will award a $470,000 grant to help a school use technology to redesign its instruction. 
The school would become a pilot program to help launch a statewide initiative in technology-driven improvements. Applicants will propose a school site where they will create a technology-rich learning environment that uses tools such as digital curriculum, gaming, virtual learning and expanded learning. 
RIDE has scheduled a conference on Saturday, Feb. 11 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Rhode Island College that will feature expert speakers from across the country.
Not sure how the conference connects or if it's open to the public. Also don't know what the proposal process is for the funding, nor whether this proposal is supposed to launch a new school or support technology implementation in an existing school. I'm posting this here now in the hope that someone already connected to the work might weigh in. I'll also hit up the RIDE website and other sources to see what else I can find when I have a few minutes.

I'm interested in this issues as I see the challenges that are happening as a result is and isn't happening with technology use in the schools in which I regularly spend time. I'm thinking a lot about opportunities met and opportunities missed and will be focusing more on that in the weeks to come.

In the meantime, any insight into the deal with this grant? Please share if so.

No comments:

Post a Comment