I had a tremendously fun time meeting these students and writing their profiles. Many thanks to Hope High School principal Scott Sutherland and Classical High School principal Scott Barr, who responded to my query to meet students who had made the most of their opportunities inside and outside of school gracefully and efficiently.
The common threads among all six students' experiences through their educational experiences seem to be:
- consistent support from family, teachers, and members of their communities
- an understanding that learning happens inside and outside of the classroom, and that it's all connected
- passions and interests that help organize their learning
Classical's Alex Schmeling, Sharon Weissburg, and Dana Heng will graduate on Friday, June 10; Hope's Mike Chibante, Alex Ahlquist, and Ashley Davega will graduate on Monday, June 13*. I wish all of them a wonderful end to the school year and all the best for a great summer and a strong start at each of their colleges** in the fall. Thank you for showing us examples of what's possible for yourselves and all of our young people.
* A link to a PDF of all Providence Public School high school graduation dates is here.
** Of course, college acceptance is not the only indicator of these students' successes. Still, not for nothing, it's an impressive list:
- Alex Ahlquist (Hope) - U. Mass Amherst
- Alex Schmeling (Classical) - Yale
- Ashley Davega (Hope) - URI
- Dana Heng (Classical) - University of Vermont
- Mike Chibante (Hope) - New England Institute of Art
- Sharon Weissburg (Classical) - Boston University or Brown